Examining Global Barley Supply Disruption Amid the Russia-Ukraine War

Today’s global food supply chain is highly connected, and the current war in Ukraine has created a tangible disruption in worldwide food security — specifically when it comes to wheat, corn, barley, sunflower/rapeseed and fertilizer. In response, EarthDaily Analytics and its EarthDaily Agro agriculture division are harnessing the power of Earth Observation technology to actively monitor crop health around the world. Through this monitoring, EarthDaily is able to detect early warning signs of production distress, equipping food security organizations to take proactive action.

Under this initiative, EarthDaily is creating a series of crop monitoring reports. Each report focuses on a different crop and its health across major producing countries as well as potential impacts to dependent importing countries. Previous reports focused on wheat and corn. Today, EarthDaily has released the third report in the series, focused on production and importing for barley.

Access the full reports now

Note: Additional reports are also available on wheat and corn.

Key findings on global barley production

Outside Russia and Ukraine, the top producers where barley is currently in-season include Morocco, Iran and a selection of European countries. Following recent monitoring, EarthDaily’s findings suggest that world barley production may be at risk due to drought and low soil moisture impacting various regions.

Key findings on global barley production



Morocco suffered severe drought at the beginning of the year. While conditions did eventually improve late in March, the relief came too late for the country’s crops. As a result, domestic production will be significantly reduced, impacting the countries that rely on Moroccan barley.

• Morocco: Morocco suffered severe drought at the beginning of the year.


Over recent weeks, Iran has also begun experiencing drought conditions impacting crops such as barley. The resulting reduction in Iranian production will likely compound the effect of similar shortfalls in Morocco.


Parts of Europe, mainly Spain, are experiencing healthy growing conditions, but the same cannot be said for the region at-large. Many parts of Europe including France, Germany, Poland, Denmark and other countries are experiencing below-average soil moisture, which could impact crop yields if the dryness persists throughout May. Even with healthy conditions in parts of Europe, European production could still see a shortage overall.


Vegetative growth in Ukraine is currently improving after below-average performance earlier this season. Soil moisture has also increased month-over-month. While these are both positive signs for crops, cumulative precipitation so far this year in many parts of Ukraine is still at a 15-year low. Active monitoring will be required to ensure moisture needs are met.

Key findings on global barley imports

Worldwide, a variety of regions purchase barley from Russia and Ukraine. In particular, buyers have historically included Middle Eastern and North African countries, meaning these areas will likely be the most impacted by anticipated shortfalls.


Lebanon imports 75% of its barley supply, 63% of which comes from Russia and Ukraine. Complicating matters further, the remaining 37% of Lebanon’s imported barley comes from countries that are currently experiencing drought conditions. Between these two obstacles, Lebanon’s supply of barley will likely be severely jeopardized.


Jordan produces only a minimal portion of its barley supply and is heavily dependent on imports. Of the barley Jordan imports, 70% of it comes from Russia and Ukraine, making Jordan highly volatile to current disruptions.

Saudi Arabia

Saudi Arabia imports nearly all its barley supply, with 42% coming from Russia and Ukraine. With anticipated shortfalls, Saudi Arabia will likely experience a need to seek other suppliers.

Northern Africa

Across Northern Africa, a variety of countries source barley from Russia and Ukraine, as little barley is grown domestically. Compared to the Middle East, the impact will likely be more moderate, but the region still warrants attention.

Access the full report

EarthDaily Analytics is actively working with customers both inside and outside Ukraine to ensure they are maximizing their crop yields within the context of the anticipated global shortfalls that lend increased importance to each incremental unit of production.

Organizations interested in learning more are encouraged to access the full Global Barley Overview Report and Barley Buyer Monitoring Report below. For additional information, contact EarthDaily Analytics.

Note: Additional reports are also available on wheat and corn.